Hall passes...My Second Ever Monday Made it.

I actually made this quite a while ago...>But never got around to blogging about it.

I wanted to make hall passes because I HATE WRITING OUT PASSES.  We have a no pass policy at our school "unless it is an emergency."  I am a believer that if it is your time (ie, I am not teaching and you are not taking a test...) and you need to go to the bathroom, who am I to stop you?

So I decided to make some uber cute passes.

I got my supplies...You might recognize some of them from my birthday sign. 

A plank, three (actually 4 but I knew I only wanted three) small planks for the passes, paint, brushes, wood cut outs, three pegs.

I painted the main plank blue when I was painting my birthday sign.   I used the Martha Stewart Spray Paint Kit to make it blue in a jiffy.


THen I painted my hooks.

These were actually a pain in the ass to paint. 


Then I glued them on.  I just used good old fashioned ELMERS GLUE ALL since I knew there was not going to be that much weight on them....AND I could not find my wood glue.


Shoved the peg on there.


And let them dry.


I needed to drill holes in my small planks so I used my largest drill bit I had.



Marked where I wanted the hole to go

Drilled a hole. 

And then I used that one as a pattern for the other two.

I painted the passes bright colors. 

But then I decided I wanted stripes. 
So I used some chevron washi tape that I had to make the stripes and painted over the color with the navy.


Gave it a few minutes to get tacky.  I do not let paint completely dry before taking off the paint as it chips, but I do not do it when it was super wet either because I found it smears. 
 I have found that if I take tape off when just tacky I get a good clean edge.



This one had a little bit of smudging so I just waited till it dried and then I used the yellow paint, a small brush and a steady hand to cover it up.

This is what they looked liked after I painted the stripes. 


And the pink one. 


THen I decided I wanted white stripes on the main plank.  Should have done this first...but who am I to give up a dream?  I also wanted white stripes on the pegs... I have issues. 


While all of that was drying I made this super cute little poster to hang on it for if students should even bother asking me for the pass.  


Then I made the little critters.


I used a sharpie paint pen to write my name on the front of the pass.


I love the way they turned out. 


I laminated and punched holes in my sign.


Added a small eye hook (from the birthday sign) to the top of the plank.


Threaded a ribbon through the eye and tied it to either side of the Passes are on/OFf! Sign. 


I used fray block to keep the ribbon from fraying. 


It acts a little like super glue if you have never used it before. 


I then threaded ribbon through the passes and tied a knot and used fray block for those. 

I used my Shilouette to make words for GIRLS, BOYS, and HALL to complete the passes!

I just really am in love with this!  I hope that this will last me a long long time!

Just the other side of the sign. 


This Passes are ON/OFF! sign is a freebie in my shop!  Check it out here: Passes are ON!

How do you handle passes in your Classroom?  I think because I have 49 minutes with them I am a little more strict, but coming from elementary, and being scared of the older kids, I am a little slack for my 6ers as well.

Cheers,

Comments

  1. Okay, those are ADORABLE! The chevron, the bright colors, the nautical dudes...I'm in love!!

    Where did you get the chevron washi tape? I tried to DIY with regular painter's tape and it was NOT my friend! hehe :oP
    Emily
    Munchkins Inc.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Oh Em Gee. I love seeing some love! Thanks for leaving some or asking for some!

Popular posts from this blog

Fractions decimals and percents

Introducing....The SLANT Box Exchange

Multiplication is for White People Chapter 1