Summer School or Not?

Well, it is getting to that time.  Do I teach summer school or not.

J and I are trying to save up money for lots of things.  Particularly two international trips that we are going to this year for weddings, maybe a house, and "other things."

SO.  Do I take my chances at private tutoring for a not guaranteed 30$ an hour cash with a flexible schedule, or do I just sign up for summer school and make a guaranteed $28 an hour taxed with a set schedule?

Here is a pros and cons list for summer school:
Pros:
  • I can get some work done in my classroom before school starts as I am already there.
  • I can get to meet some of my students that I will have next year early. (learning styles, who the trouble makers are)
  • guaranteed money
  • its only 8 weeks
  • it is enough hours a week for it to be almost like 2 paychecks per week (I have my salary go through summer)
  • paychecks spend differently than cash....
Cons:
  • I have to go to work in summer
  • I have to teach math all day (again)
  • Non air conditioned building
  • set schedule.  I can not just go to the beach on a Tuesday with my dog.
  • It is 8 weeks
  • It is a lot of hour a week....
Here is a pros and cons list for tutoring:
Pros:
  • I can set the schedule that I want to work
  • I would be working with students that I do not normally see or teach
  • I would be getting cash
  • I would be at a coffee shop (yummy)
  • It is by my house
  • airconditioning. 
  • as many or as little students as I want.
Cons:
  • I do not know if I am that self motivated to organize not only grad school and multiple students
  • I might not have a lot of students
  • I might get more than I can handle...you all know I have a problem saying no
  • Have to find a location that will support me and my "students"
  • I will not get to see the students after the summer

Oh.  I hate this decision.  What would you do?

Cheers.


Comments

  1. I am having the same dilemma this year. I have always taught. We have very looonngg days because we spend all day with the kiddos-even lunch and still go 8-3. This is the first year I'm thinking of maybe just taking a break. If I was going to teach the kids I was slated to have for the following year, that might make me do it though. Good luck with your decision.
    NotJustChild'sPlay

    ReplyDelete
  2. As a professional tutor, I totally see your problem. My students drop dramatically over the summer--only my college students and my get-ahead kids. Maybe find out who would actually be interested in being tutored? Get a head count and see if it is worth it financially and time-wise. Or maybe offer a summer week program (something I am considering doing for the first time this year!). That way, you only have one week, get as many kids as possible for the same subject/level and charge a little more than a regular tutoring session. Provide some fun games and snacks within the tutoring. That way you have more time. Downside: finding a location.

    I pray you do what is best for you :)
    G-Iron Tutor

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think you have to decide what works best for you. I do teach summer school and I like knowing my exact hours and subjects. Yes, it is taxed and I make less than tutoring but I also know my content and have access to everything I need like copiers, supplies, etc. since I teach summer school at my school or one of our district's elementary schools. But I also need routine and don't like the unknown. Not that I couldn't easy come up with things for tutoring (Thank You Pinterest) but I like knowing the expectations and that I'm done by 11:30 no matter what!! :)

    Best of luck in your choice!
    Amanda
    My Shoe String Life.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Oh Em Gee. I love seeing some love! Thanks for leaving some or asking for some!

Popular posts from this blog

Fractions decimals and percents

Introducing....The SLANT Box Exchange

Multiplication is for White People Chapter 1